IDEALS provides several important opportunities for students:
IDEALS Graduate Fellowships
IDEALS Graduate Fellowships are for students admitted to the CUNY Ph.D. program in Chemistry, Physics, or Engineering who are working with faculty mentors from IDEALS. Download the brochure.
- Each student is mentored by at least two collaborating faculty members from different disciplines that are associated with the center.
- Research and education are integrated to provide students with a cutting-edge research experience and training in materials discovery and design, with opportunities to develop leadership and entrepreneurial skills, build professional networks and collaborations, and cultivate intellectual property generation and commercialization competences.
- The Fellowship provides an annual stipend of $34,000 over a 2-year period. Students receive support through other research grants for the remaining of their studies, for up to a total of 5 years. A full tuition waiver and a comprehensive health insurance is also provided over a 5-year period.
How to Apply
Potential applicants and their primary mentors should discuss their interest in the program with at least one of the members of the IDEALS Leadership Team, prior to applying.
To apply submit a 1-2 page research proposal describing how the research fits within the IDEALS program and identify your two IDEALS mentors. The proposal must be approved by your primary mentor.
Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)- style program in collaboration with our External Outreach Partners provides hands on experience in state-of-the-art facilities, with faculty members associated with the Center as mentors. Download Brochure.
- Additionally, the program includes a series of extracurricular activities aimed at enhancing the students' experience beyond the core laboratory experience. Students present their results at the end of the summer in a College-wide Poster Presentation. We share some of our REU activities with the Columbia University-CCNY PAS3MRSEC REU and the CUNY-REU programs.
- The students receive a $5,000 stipend during the summer and are eligible for on campus housing if required.
- How to Apply
- Download Application
DEADLINE EXTENDED: MARCH 18, 2020
Undergraduate Academic Year Research
Undergraduate Academic Year Research: IDEALS also supports undergraduate academic year research in partnership with the LSAMP program, and other programs already in operation at CCNY.
All students supported through IDEALS must be US citizens or Permanent Residents.